When I was younger, Halloween was one of my absolute favorite holidays. I mean, we are talking about playing dress-up, candies and chocolates here! But now, as I have grown into an adult, I have more reasons than ever to crave something special.
Yes ladies, I’m talking about periods here.
Obviously, having your period on Halloween is not ideal and all that sugar from candy can make your symptoms worse. But it also isn’t all bad. In today’s blog post, I am going to share with you some healthy Halloween treats for every craving so you can still enjoy a yummy treat no matter when your period strikes.Craving: Sweet
If your body is calling for something sweet, try these Spookishly Delicious Granola Bars! You won’t even miss the candy.
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1 1/4 cups rice crisp cereal
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup, plus 1 tablespoon, maple syrup
- 1/4 cup roasted peanut butter or almond butter
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Orange food colouring
- Tootsie rolls
- Line a 9-inch square cake pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, rice crisp cereal, hemp seeds, pumpkin seeds, coconut, sesame seeds, chia seeds, cinnamon, and salt and mix.
- In a small saucepan, stir together the maple syrup and peanut butter until well combined. Cook over medium to heat until the mixture softens and bubbles slightly, then remove the pan from the heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Optional: Add some orange food coloring until your mixture takes on a pumpkin-orange color.
- Pour the peanut butter mixture over the oat mixture and mix until the oats and cereal are coated.
- Spreading it out into an even layer into your cake pan.
- Option: Add tootsie rolls for garnish.
- Place the pan in the freezer, uncovered, and chill for 10 minutes, or until firm.
- When cool, slice the bars into 12 and store them in an airtight container in your fridge.
Ta-da! Enjoy your deliciously sweet treat!Craving: Salty
If you’re craving something a little less sweet, and a lot more salty, try a batch of this Pumpkin Patch Mix!
- 3 cups mixed nuts
- 1-2 teaspoons sea salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (if you are feeling something spicy!)
- Combine all ingredients into a bowl and toss until mix is coated.
- Separate desired amount of each treat into a baggy. And voila! You have a salty treat to combat cravings! (Bonus: you can take it anywhere where cravings might hit!)
There is nothing as satisfying as chocolate when on your period, and Halloween certainly has that in abundance! Try these Witch Brooms to help you feel a little bit better.
- Chocolate chips
- Pretzel sticks or lollipop sticks
- Melt some chocolate in a microwave safe bowl until it reaches a creamy consistency.
- Cut bananas into small chunks and dip into the chocolate mix.
- Place dipped bananas on parchment paper covered baking sheet.
- Place a pretzel stick in the top of each banana.
- When you are done dipping your bananas, place them in the freezer until chocolate is solidified.
- Enjoy this bewitchingly delicious treat!
What are some of your favorite period treats? Share them with us at @TheDivaCup on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook!