No one expected you to ride your bike without training wheels on your first try. Likewise, finding the right fold, routine and time of use for your DivaCup may take a few cycles. Once you’ve got a handle on it, you’ll be inserting and removing the cup without even thinking about it.
Every woman’s body is unique in shape, and flow, which is why some women manage to have success inserting The DivaCup on their first try, while others may require a couple tries (or even a few full cycles) to experience all its wonderful benefits!
Below are a few helpful tips to help you find the right fit and feel of your DivaCup.
- Read your User Guide!
- Remember to thoroughly wash your hands with soap and warm water before insertion and removal.
- To maintain the integrity of The DivaCup clean thoroughly with warm water and The DivaWash or use a mild unscented water-based (oil-free) soap.
- Unlike tampons, be sure to insert the The DivaCup horizontally (toward the tailbone).
- Be sure to not push the tip of the stem further than a 1/2 inch (1.27 cm) into the vagina. Inserting The DivaCup too high may cause leaks, and may also make removal more difficult.
- After insertion, ensure that the cup is fully open by rotating it a full 360 degrees in either direction.
- Practicing Kegel exercises will help keep your vaginal muscles strong and may help The DivaCup stay in place better and prevent leakage.
- Do not insert The DivaCup while lying down as this may result in the cup being positioned improperly, leading to discomfort and possible leaking.
- If The DivaCup does move up in the vaginal canal and you are experiencing difficulty removing it please refer to Section B of the User Guide for assistance. In the rare case that you are still unable to remove The DivaCup after more than twelve (12) hours, seek medical advice.
- If your cup does leak, it has not been inserted properly; it has not been rotated; it is not inserted at the right angle (horizontally); or the muscle tone of your vaginal muscles may need to be strengthened with Kegel exercises (usually necessary after multiple vaginal childbirths).
The Mystery Behind Kegels
How to Kegel!
NEVER practice these exercises while on the toilet and NEVER stop the flow of urine mid-stream. Most importantly, remember that Kegels may not be the correct way to ensure proper fit of The DivaCup so if you are having difficulties, you may want to consider a pelvic floor assessment